Science, Statistics, Politics, Current Events, Photos and Life.

Friday, July 8, 2011

South of Tagus River Beach

This must be part of the Tagus river estuary where the Tagus flows into the Atlantic.  It experiences tidal flows.  This is on the South side of the river.  I was walking down an unmarked road dressed in jeans and a shirt, people walking the other way staring at me.  Few signs of civilization.  I turned around and asked my brother-in-law about this and he drove us out to the beach.  It was about 4-5 kilometers, so I'm glad I turned around.  Very pretty.  The mud pictures are from the "Moinho do Mare", a mill driven by tidal flows that operated for centuries and even into the later half of the twentieth century.

Footprints in the sand and dune grass. 

A high tide leaves many little islets in the water. 

Visible in the background, two of the ferry boats that cross the Tagus to and from Lisbon.  A few people and one bird are on the beach, and in the far distance is the Vasco De Gama Pont (bridge). 

Fantastic ripple patterns in the sand left by water draining as the tide leaves. 

Mud uncovered by the tide at the Moinho de Mare de Corroios.  Corroios is the location.  Mare is sea (I'm missing the accent on the e, sorry), and Moinho means mill. 

A close-up of the mud showing bubbles and perhaps an oil slick.  The mud was incredibly ugly in a beautiful way.  I kept imagining having to slog through thus muck.  

No comments:

Blog Archive